A Brief History
On October 23, 1955 thirty-three people from Southeast Fort Worth met at the Mitchell Boulevard Elementary School to consider the possibility of establishing an Episcopal Church in that area. A petition to the Bishop for the organization of a Mission was signed. The petition was approved, and Ed Joyce contributed property on Mitchell Boulevard for a church building.
The Reverend Wright Johnson celebrated Holy Communion for the new congregation at the Glen Garden Country Club on October 30. Thirty-five people were in attendance. After mass a vestry was elected, and the name "Saint Timothy" was chosen for the new church. The congregation met weekly for Mass at a rented store building at 4312 Wichita Street while they constructed a small frame building on the donated property.
The present church was built in 1959 and expanded in 1966. The frame building became the Parish House, and after a fire in 1960 it was rebuilt and enlarged. New Church School buildings were added in 1968 and 1976.
In January of 1956 The Reverend Don W. Clark became the first resident priest. Eighteen months later the The Reverend George M. Aker succeeded him. Father Acker guided Saint Timothy's from Mission to Parish status in May of 1960. He remained at Saint Timothy's until his retirement in 1987. After that, due to the passing of many of the older parishioners and the relocation of others to other areas and states, membership declined. In late 1993 the church reverted to Mission status. The Reverend Bruce Coggin and The Reverend Samuel Edwards served as priests from 1987 until July of 1994 when The Reverend Christopher C. Stainbrook was assigned as Vicar. He served as Vicar of St. Timothy's until December 31 2011, when he and half the congregation departed for the Roman Catholic Church. Upon renunciation of his priestly orders, he was received as a Roman Catholic layman and was eventually re-ordained as a priest in the Roman Catholic Church.
In late December 2011, Bishop Jack L. Iker contacted the recently retired Bishop of Quincy, Bishop Keith L. Ackerman, who along with his wife, Joann, had moved to Texas, asking Bp. Ackerman to serve at St. Timothy's. Bp. Ackerman, a cradle Anglo-Catholic, has been honored to serve St. Timothy's as Vicar since January 1, 2012, and is delighted that the church has nearly tripled in size, along with many being Confirmed, Received, and making their First Holy Communion. Several Weddings have occurred with several more being planned. The facilities, which were in great disrepair, became an immediate priority. Between 2012 to the present all facilities have been repaired and improved with the assistance from various people and churches outside of St. Timothy's.
St. Timothy Church will celebrate in 2015 the Diamond Jubilee of St. Timothy's Founding.
The Right Reverend Keith L. Ackerman, SSC, D.D.
8th Bishop of Quincy, retired
Vicar of Saint Timothy Church
Many faces, one faith.
We are a diverse group of believers – doctors, nurses, accountants, mechanics, vet. assistant, engineers, retail workers, business leaders, musicians, social workers, teachers, public servants, business owners, parents – united by our shared faith in a loving God.
Make a joyful noise
Perform with our choir.
Be a greeter/usher
This is a great way to get to know members.
Behind the scenes
Join our Altar Guild, technical team, grounds or kitchen crews.
Oh how easy it is to get lost! With our cell phones and iPads, our 24-hour news cycles, there’s virtually nowhere to go for a moment of peace and quiet.
That’s where Saint Timothy Church comes in. We provide a holy place of respite in the tumult of life. So come, put aside the cares of the week and find yourself in the presence of God.